We all know how itchy and painful that a hemorrhoid can be.
1) Increase your daily fiber intake.
Fiber is a natural stool softener that increases the mass of every stool passing and helps to reduce straining.
Many trials have shown that fiber is very beneficial in relieving hemorrhoid symptoms such as discomfort, itching, bleeding and pain.
Consider adding whole grains, fruits, whole grains bread and vegetables that are high in fiber to your diet.
Examples of High Fiber Foods:
- Berries – Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries
- Bran cereals
- Kiwi fruits
- Lima beans
- Nuts – Walnuts, Cashews, Peanuts, Almonds, Brazil Nuts
- Whole grain bread
If you cannot add these foods to your diet, you can purchase a powdered fiber supplement called Psyllium from most health food stores and supermarkets.
2) Drink 6-8 glasses of water every day.
Water acts as a natural stool softener if you drink enough of it!
3) Increase your daily bioflavonoid intake.
Bioflavonoids, commonly found in citrus fruits, are a type of plant compound that decrease inflammation and strengthen blood vessel walls to help reduce rectal discomfort.
4) Try using the herb, Horse Chestnut.
Horse chestnut helps to relieve hemorrhoid pain and inflammation. It is available as a tea and pill form. People who suffer from blood disorders or take blood thinners should not use this herb.
5) Try using the herb, Witch Hazel.
Witch hazel is usually found in the form of a tea, an ointment, a distilled liquid or medicated pads. It helps to relieve itching, swelling and discomfort.
6) Try using the herb, Butcher’s Broom.
Butcherâ€™s Broom is consumed in tea form or pill form. It is used to treat inflammation, poor circulation,
varicose veins and hemorrhoids. Its vein-constricting properties help to shrink the swollen tissues. If you drink it as a tea, try a bit of honey, agave or stevia to sweeten your tea.
7) Try using the herb, Calendula.
It can be applied topically as an ointment. It helps to relieve discomfort and itchiness.
8) Consider lifestyle changes. This guide called Hemorrhoid Free for Life is loaded with info on that. Read my review of it here.